How do hosting companies do realtime changes?

Paige Stafford staffordp1 at ornl.gov
Fri Oct 31 13:18:23 UTC 2003

We are using a kind of 'central server' to manage DES3 (i.e.
openssl/des.h: des_ecb3_encrypt()) type authentication between nodes to
update two master name servers (BIND 8 moving to BIND 9).  This central
server receives socket calls from the client for a update request.  The
server authenticates, and error checks the request.

Because there are two master servers, and because we have an incredible
number of nodes who want to maintain a standard IP name within our company
(using other ISPs), and because we want to ensure the maximum amount of
security without a tremendous amount of maintenance, would TSIG-signed
dynamic updates be a better solution?

Paige Stafford
Networking and Computing Tech., ORNL