a little DNS help

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Mon Nov 24 22:06:23 UTC 2003

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 11/17/2003 09:10:10 AM:
[clip...]

> >>1. What are the steps to creating a new DNS host?
> >
> >what's a DNS host?  everything in DNS is a domain name.  do you want to

> >create a sub-domain (node) under an existing domain.tld, eg,
> >label.domain.tld, or a new domain.tld?
>
> At Internic they used to allow you to create a DNS host. Simply a dns
> server. I entered in the name: dns.lookwww.com and the IP number of
> the server's NIC..

Ahh, you want to create a name server with your registrar.  The process
used to accomplish this task varies from registrar to registrar.  Contact
yours for their procedure.

> On my current DNS I just used the IP in my NIC adapter and a domain
> name www.lookwww.com Then I created an alias in the lookwww.com zone
> record named "dns"  I was told once that using a cname for DNS was not
> proper according to RFC.

Do not use a CNAME as the RDATA for an NS RR.  Use an A RR there, and make
it match the one you provided to your registrar / parent when you
registered the name server.

> Maybe this is the proper way to do it.
>

> >>2. Does it matter what I name the computer?
> >
> >MS warns if the MS Networking machine name differs from tcp/ip host
label.
> >Heeding the warning is good practice.
> >
> >>3. When I create the DNS host with a particular IP does the primary IP
> >>in the computer's NIC adapter need to be the one I register or can it
> >>be one of the IPs in the NICs Advanced section?
> >
> >DNS only knows about IP addresses, not canonical IP or IP aliases.  So
the
> >question is really for the MS Networking.
> >
> >MS's "register" term in DNS context is equivalent the BIND query op
code
> >"update".  Are you going to be running dynamic zones?
> >
> >>4. If the DNS host is going to be named: dns.newdnshost.com what is
> >>the zone file configuration or is there one?
> >
> >Your choice, BIND doesn't care what the zone file name is.  MS GUI uses

> >domain.dns while I follow the convention in the DNS & BIND book,
db.domain
> >on the master, and, my own style, dbak.domain on the slave.
> >
> >>5. Can I name the DNS host the same domain name as I use on the server
> >>as a Web site or is that  bad idea?
> >
> >give an example.
>
> Well, for example, if I want to call my DNS:  dns.primarydns.com do I
> need to register the name primarydns.com at Internic?  What then is
> the relationship with my DNS server and the name: primarydns.com

(on a side not, the term DNS is typically reserved as an acronym for the
term Domain Name System, not Domain Name Server, as I have begun to catch
on that you are using it in the latter sense.  You will probably confuse
less people if you use the term name server)

You have asked a many part question here:

A)  If you want the domain name primarydns.com then yes, you must register
the domain name.  That is to say, if you want to have the right to name
hosts that end in primarydns.com, then you must own the domain and
therefore must register the domain with an approved registrar for the com
domain (of which there are many).  BTW, Internic no longer registers
domains, however, their site (which I am sure you have visited recently
during your research of your problems) can direct you to all of the
approved registrars.

B) If you want to use the fqdn 'dns.primarydns.com' as a name server when
registering other domains, then that name server must be also registered
with your registrar.

C)  The relationship between your name server and the domain
primarydns.com is that your name server would be known as the primary
master name server for the zone primarydns.com (I am assuming you have
arranged to have someone else be slave for this zone or you have other
name servers that will be slave for this zone).  Taking it one step
further, the domain primarydns.com is a subdomain of the 'com' domain.

> Is there  a zone file called: primarydns.com ? and a cname in it to
> reflect the dns portion?

A)  On your name server you would have a zone file that contains the zone
data for the zone primarydns.com.  You can "call" this file anything you
like.  The name of the file on your local file system is your business and
has no effect on the operation of the DNS.

B) Quoting the rest of your question "and a cname in it to reflect the dns
portion" ... leaves me asking, What?

I hope this helps...

Dave...

> Like I said I've had this current dns: dns.lookwww.com running for
> aobut 4 years. I understand a little about how it works but I just
> think that maybe I could make some changes to it to make it more
> compliant.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>

> >Len