New .com Domain seen in UK but not in China

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Nov 18 00:37:32 UTC 2003

> Hi,
>
> Hope I am in the correct group here. I registered a new .com Domain
> via mydomain.com several weeks ago and the default mydomain Name
> Servers were set up for me.
>
> The Domain became visible here in the UK, redirecting correctly to my
> ISP's Webspace Pages (using Frames/URL Masking) within a short space
> of time.
>
> But we want it to be equally visible in China. Getting reports back
> that they get Page not Found or similar when clicking on the Link we
> email to them over there in Beijing.
>
> Previously, I have reg'd a co.uk Domain and it became visible in China
> within a day or two and still is now.
>
> Question 1: Anyone have an idea what is going on?
>
> Question 2: Is there a way to 'test' from the UK if a Domain or URL
> would be 'visible' in China by e.g. by specifiying a special Proxy
> Server that routes via China, or maybe a Whois type page that looks up
> .com Domains 'via' China.
>
> I have done a bit of research before posting this but did not hit any
> good FAQs. As is, I don't understand which Name Server China would use
> when accessing a .com with Mydomain - one in China or Mydomain's.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions or links to info on this!
> Nigel Roese

	Names theoretically become visible everywhere simultaniously
	though there will be inconsistant results until all the servers
	for the zone (and parent zone with delegations) have the new
	zone content.

	There have been reports of nameservers being filtered because
	they offered recursive service / hosted the zones that the
	Chinese goverment didn't want reachable.  See the NANOG archives.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org