Updating zone files without restarting the service.

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Tue Oct 29 16:37:57 UTC 2002

Robert Voelker wrote:
> I've never used BIND before but thought I would give it a shot on one
> of our development servers and so far I'm liking it quite a bit. I'm
> running windows 2000 server with the latest service pack installed.
>
> I'm wanting to learn what to do after updating zone data with new
> information without having to restart the service. It seems with the
> way I've got things setup after updating I have to restart the
> service. There must be a more efficient way.

You can "reload" zones that you've changed with ndc reload (for
BIND 8) or rndc reload (for BIND 9).  That doesn't require a
restart.  You can also specify that the name server only reload
individual zones with

ndc reload <domain name of zone> [...]

or

rndc reload <domain name of zone> [...]

E.g.,

rndc reload foo.example

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, available now!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/