Unsuccessful DNS lookup

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Mon Oct 14 23:47:16 UTC 2002

At 11:53 AM 10/8/02, Steve King wrote:

>Problem is I upgrade my server to a new email server. After doing so
>my client was unable to receive email from this one client. I would go
>into the mail log and couldn't find anything that said we had bounce
>this email or that this email existed at all. So I contacted the
>person responsible for the email(an email group list) and he got this
>error.
>
>Sending email to: user at ci.*.ca.us(* is the city)
>Unsuccessful DNS lookup, the domain name 'ci.*.ca.us' may be
>invalid.

Is there really an asterisk in the name or are you foolishly trying to
hide the name? You cannot have wildcards in names. If you have
a real name then you should give it so that someone can look up the
name and tell you what's really wrong. You are wasting people's
time by asking this way.

>But when he does a nslookup(sorry he is in windows)to his DNS servers
>he gets a response pointing to the mail server.

Actual output helps.

>I'm baffled, any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>SK

Danny