how to measure dns traffic

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Tue Oct 8 21:51:00 UTC 2002

> i got an account at a commercial dns-server and they charge me for the
> "traffic" my domains.
> what i am curious is how can be this done ?
> if they just measure the traffic on the "named-port" its not my traffic,
its
> all the dns traffic they have (and they have thousands of zones). as far
as
> i know they are running bin9. does bin9 have such a feature that its
logging
> the traffic ?

Not as such, but it has zone statistics, which can tell you how many
queries the name server received for records in the various zones it
loads.  I suppose you could try to extrapolate "traffic" from that (or
just define "traffic" as the number of queries).

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/