Refer single machine in local DNS server to outside name resoluton?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Tue Oct 8 19:27:23 UTC 2002

> I have a strange DNS problem. I have have a private 192.168 network for
> a domain - let's call it "mydomain.com". I have a local DNS server for
> that network (not publicly accessible). However, one machine with name
> "www.mydomain.com" is in fact an alias for a machine in a different
> domain, i.e. the IP address of that machine does NOT start with 192.168.
> although that machine has the same domain extension as all other
> machines which DO start with 192.168.
>
> So I can't put "www.mydomain.com" in my local DNS as its IP address does
> not match the IP range. But as this machine has the domain extension
> "mydomain.com", the local DNS server refuses to look outside for an
> authoritative answer - hence always returns that it can't resolve the
> name to an address.

You seem to think there's a one-to-one relationship between zones
and networks.  There isn't.  You can add a A record for www.domain.com
to the domain.com zone data file no matter what network it's on.  Didn't
you try?

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

The DNS and BIND Cookbook, coming October 2002!
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dnsbindckbk/