how to list ALL zones of my master server

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Wed Oct 2 14:55:06 UTC 2002

"Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net> wrote in message
news:anerod$7ss6$1 at isrv4.isc.org...

> At 07:52 AM 10/2/02, Mark Damrose wrote:
> >"Danny Mayer" <mayer at gis.net> wrote in message
> >news:andua6$7b9c$1 at isrv4.isc.org...
> > >
> > > I wasn't being very clear myself. NOTIFY can't tell you into which
view
> > > you need to place the slave zone, so how do you add it into named.conf
> > > and what masters should you list for it?
> >
> >Pre-configured or default to the master from which you recieve the
NOTIFY.

> >  You can create a standard name
> > > for the zone file. The hardest part of this is figuring out were to
add it
> > > in the named.conf to put it into the correct view.
> >
> >The master is pre-defined on the slave.  It must already belong to a
> >particular view.  The new zone would go into the same view.
>
> You didn't think that one through.  The zone is not pre-defined so there
is
> no master. The NOTIFYING server could be a master for all views, or you
> may have multiple different masters in each zone of each view.

Even if you configure a slave manually, a master in multiple views would
have to have unique source IP and/or TSIG key in each view.

> The
> NOTIFYING master may be new, so the slave doesn't even know that it
> exists before receiving the notify.

As proposed, the master *must* be pre-defined or the NOTIFY would be
ignored.  Even if you did something silly and configured yourself to allow
any unknown master to create slave zones, the source IP would match a single
view.