Bind9.2.1 install on NT.

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri May 31 00:42:53 UTC 2002

At 12:43 PM 5/30/02, Bjorn Johansson wrote:
>Hi,
>
>It looks like there is something I'm not quite getting with the
>Bind9.2.1 install for NT/WIN2000.
>
>This is probably due to a case of advanced stupidity. ;-)
>
>When I've previously installed Bind8.2.5 on various NT/WIN2000 machines,
>I've run the setup program, copied the configuration files to the 'etc'
>directory and then just opened the Bind Control Panel, from the start
>menu and started Bind.
>
>In Bind8.2.5, that was it.
>
>When installing Bind9.2.1 for NT/WIN2000 there doesn't seem to be a
>'Bind Control Panel', so I was wondering if somebody could fill me in on
>what I need to do to get it up and running and then controlling Bind
>thereafter.

If all else fails, read the documentation! BINDCtrl and BINDCmd are not
available for BIND 9 and are obsoleted.  You can use rndc instead the
same as for Unix systems.  This is described in the readme.txt file that
comes with the kit.  Note that you cannot start named with rndc as rndc
requires a running version of named to work. BINDCtrl and BINDCmd had
interfaces into services which don't exist in rndc.  You can issue the
command:
net start "ISC BIND" to start the service from the command line.

>Any help will be much appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>--
>Bjorn Johansson