Stupid Newbie DNS question (self hosting domains) [repost]

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed May 29 01:16:05 UTC 2002

You are required to have 2 nameservers. This is for redundancy. The rest of the Internet
shouldn't have to put up with retransmissions to your nameservers just because one of your
machines hiccups for a few minutes or a few hours. Because the underlying reason is
redundancy, obviously they're not going to let you evade this requirement by having 2
different nameservers point to the same IP address.

Beyond that, however, most registrars don't really care much about how you meet the
2-distinct-nameserver requirement. You can host both nameservers, you can get somebody else
to run both nameservers, or you can have a mixture of your nameserver(s) and someone else's
nameserver(s). I would recommend, however, that your nameservice as a whole be as
topologically diverse as possible, if you care about robustness; even if none of your
nameservers are a Single Point of Failure, if they're all on the same segment/subnet, then
maybe a hub, switch, router or circuit is a Single Point of Failure instead.

As for "releas[ing] a domain to itself", I'm not quite sure what they are getting at there.
It is certainly possible to have, e.g. blahblah.com delegated exclusively to nameservers
whose names are themselves in the blahblah.com domain, e.g. ns1.blahblah.com and
ns2.blahblah.com. That's what "glue records" are for, after all. It's possible that the co.uk
registry has different rules, but I doubt it. If that's what your hosting company is saying,
then they're probably trying to drum up some "secondary service" business from you, or,
alternatively, they may be just plain ignorant.

- Kevin