w2k does it really need dynamic update?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 16 20:17:13 UTC 2002

First of all, please distinguish between "Dynamic Update", on the one
hand, and "auto-registered", on the other hand. Some of us use Dynamic
Update on Unix boxes to maintain our entire DNS database, and this has
nothing to do with Win2K clients auto-registering themselves or
DHCP servers auto-registering clients.

Is auto-registration necessary for Win2K? Nope. It's not even necessary
for all Win2K clients to be DNS *at*all*. The vast majority of our Win2K
clients are *not* in DNS.

Now, it _is_ necessary for AD's SRV records to be in DNS. But
technically those don't need to be maintained via Dynamic Update either.
Besides, you weren't asking about AD...

- Kevin