UNIX v Win2k

Anthony Atkielski anthony at freebie.atkielski.com
Mon May 13 10:14:43 UTC 2002

Scott writes:

> Guys,
> Has anyone had experience off migrating from
> UNIX BIND 8 to Windows 2000 for DNS use.
> I am mostly looking for dis-advantages of this
> method, there a million and one sites on the
> web proclaiming the greatness of Microsoft
> products but not all that many who actually
> tell you the truth of what it is bad at and
> what falls over frequently.

If you have a working system under UNIX, you don't need to justify not
migrating to Win 2K, since there is no reason to migrate; instead, you'd
need reasons justifying a migration to Win 2K.

This being so, why are you considering a migration in the first place?

Unless you need server functionality that is _specific_ to Windows 2000 AND
you cannot keep both the UNIX system and the Windows 2000 system, why
migrate your DNS at all?  No need to fix something that isn't broken!