Domain Name Gluing

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu May 9 20:16:07 UTC 2002

"Cinense, Mark" wrote:

> I was asked this question earlier today.
>         If I had a domain name hoser.parent.grandparent.org and this is
> already been setup with 2KAD, and the parent domain said that you need to
> change your domain to hoser.screwed.parent.grandparent.org, could the new
> hoser subdomain of the screwed domain point back to
> hoser.parent.grandparent.org domain?  Since I run Unix Bind servers, the MS
> guys wanted to know if I put up a Bind server as the
> hoser.screwed.parent.grandparent.org nameserver, with records that either
> alias, or glue back to the hoser.parent.grandparent.org server when requests
> are made to hoser.screwed.parent.grandparent.org work.  They do knot want to
> have to rebuild the AD where the tree sits on hoser.parent.grandparent.org.

You could create aliases in hoser.screwed.parent.grandparent.org for
*every*name* in hoser.parent.grandparent.org. In the future maybe you could use
a single DNAME for this, but for now, you'd have to constantly update those
aliases, of course, as names are added or deleted from the "real" domain. Yuck.

But, since this is AD, you probably care about Dynamic Update, and the Win2K
Dynamic Update logic -- last I knew -- wasn't smart enough to follow aliases,
so the "alias everything" approach probably won't work out for you.

I too have heard the story from our AD minions that it is really really really
really hard to change an AD domain assignment once it's been cast in stone. As
I understand it, basically you have to re-create everything from scratch. Yet
another reason to avoid AD...

- Kevin