dynamic DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu May 9 13:39:34 UTC 2002

"Johnathan Leppert" <leppert at insight.rr.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there anyway to specify a nameserver hostname which is on a dynamic DNS
>service? That is, could I specify the DNS servers for the domain
>mydomain.com to something like:
>
>ns1.mydomain2.com
>
>Mydomain2.com would then have a nameserver from one of the dynamic DNS
>services. So when a request for mydomain.com would come in:
>
>- ns1.mydomain2.com would be looked up via the dyndns service and the IP
>address would be obtained.
>- the resolved IP address of ns1.mydomain2.com would then be contacted to
>retrieve the nameserver address of mydomain.com
>- mydomain.com would resolve into the same IP
>
>Is this possible? What I am getting at is I want to hide the fact I use
>dynamic DNS by using a second domain name, and be able to run my own
>nameserver for my own domain.
>
>Any help as to if this would work or any notes/precautions before trying
>this would be helpful. This may be the wrong newsgroup for this question,
>but I found no other general DNS groups for which this question would be
>appropriate.

You will have problems (if I interpret your scenario correctly).
If I do a lookup, and I find

     ns1.mydomain2.com  ===>  aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

my nameserver will cache that information.  It will remain there until
the TTL expires.  If your DNS server gets a new IP address before
my cache record has expired, then I will not be able to access your
DNS.  DNS servers have to be on static IP addresses.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov