BIND8.2.3 and no follow-up on CNAME's ?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed May 8 19:15:33 UTC 2002

In article <abbsbn$97pr$1 at isrv4.isc.org>,
Me myself & I <slrn at oink.amc.nl> wrote:
>So in the same answer is tells me NXDomain and
>that the host i look for is a CNAME for em08.em.springer.de
>
>If i try this on a different DNS server, i do get the right
>answer:

There are three nameservers for springer.de.  alpha.ntp.springer.de and
spm1.springer.de know that the em.springer.de subdomain is delegated to
spm1.springer.de and sdns.springer.de.  But the third nameserver,
deneb.dfn.de, doesn't know about the subdomain delegation, and it doesn't
have an entry for em08.em.springer.de.  So if your nameserver happened to
ask that server to look up link.springer.de, it will be told that it's a
CNAME pointing to a name that doesn't exist.

The springer.de administrator probably forgot to put a copy of the
subdomain's NS records in the parent domain, or forgot to update the serial
number of the parent domain when he did it.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA