Is this standard behavior?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue May 7 23:27:33 UTC 2002

Rasmus Aaen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are running Bind 8.3.1 on a couple of Win2K servers for about 200
> domains. All domains have the same soa values:
>
> Refresh: 7200, retry: 3600, expire: 864000, min. TTL: 43200
>
> I noticed that the slave server updates the "modified" time on the zone
> files only after the zone has expired and been transfered again. It is my
> understanding that the modified time on the files should be updated every
> two hours (7200 sec.) in our case.
>
> In the logs I see a message that the zone has expired, and then the zone is
> transfered from the master and loaded.

Based on your description, it sounds like the master was out of touch for 10
days and the zone expired. Given that no zone transfers occurred during that
10-day period, and therefore the slave copy of the zone was not
overwritten/rewritten, it makes sense that the timestamp did not change during
that time.

- Kevin