DNS Pointing to Directory of Web Server

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon May 6 18:08:05 UTC 2002

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 03:15:36PM -0700, Eric S. wrote:
> Hi! I'm hoping there are others out there who have implemented similar
> setups and can perhaps point me in the right direction. Any comments
> are welcome.
>
> When a user types foo.com into their browser, we'd like it to bring
> them to bar.com/foo and have bar.com/foo show up in the browser
> window. We're running NT4 sp6 with IIS4 on our web server and have a
> Linux box with Bind 8.x running DNS. Any ideas on how to implement
> this? Preferably witout using up more IP addresses?

This is not only a FAQ, but a non-DNS question.

You set up a virtual server whose root is "foo" under bar's root.

See <URL: http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/name-based.html> et
al.  If IIS can't do this, run Apache - fewer bugs, anyway.  Or run
Apache over *BSD or Linux on the Web server.  Lots fewer bugs.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B