bind on standalone pc

Jens SHVQCHUKSNNP at spammotel.com
Sat May 4 12:15:40 UTC 2002

> I have a standalone PC with internet dial-up.
> I'd like to use bind 8.2.4 for
> a) caching
> b) aliasing
> c) resolving of non-ICANN names

It works now with this configuration:

logging {
   [...]
   ->It is very import that the "logging" sections comes first.
   ->Else you might miss important warnings or errors!
};

options {
     [...]
};

zone "." IN {
	type hint;
	file "root.hint";
};

zone "localhost." IN {
	type master;
	file "localhost.zone";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
	type master;
	file "127.0.0.zone";
};
zone "111.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
	type master;
	file "192.168.111.zone";
};

/* The next two entries will catch some bogus request made by stupid
resolvers */
zone "0.in-addr.arpa" IN {
	type master;
	file "bogus.zone";
};
zone "255.in-addr.arpa" IN {
	type master;
	file "bogus.zone";
};

zone "de." IN {
	type stub;
	masters {145.254.2.11;};
	file "named.dom";
};

zone "news." IN {
	type forward;
	forward only;
	forwarders { 208.179.42.162; 204.107.129.2; 12.28.140.20;};
};

In named.dom I have defined the aliases for the SMTP.
What I do not like is that with this config my machine contacts the
root servers. I would feel better removing the "." zone and forwarding
all requests to my providers DNS but that did not work :-(

Jens