How to map a host name in one domain to host name of another domain?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Jun 26 12:38:58 UTC 2002

Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> Zorglub wrote:

>> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> a =E9crit
>> news:afao43$11sv$1 at isrv4.isc.org:

>> > Create a www.myxyzdomain.com alias pointing at east.xxx.org. This
>> > consists of a CNAME record in the myxyzdomain.com zone(file).
>> >
>> > Am I missing something?
>>
>> It seems to be forbiden, at least with NT DNS.

> Maybe it's time to switch to BIND.

It's always time for this :-)

> - Kevin

Maybe we are misunderstanding the question ? Is it possible that the author
wanted the webserver to be reachable as "www.myxyzdomain.com" instead of
 east.xxx.org ? In that case one needs to register "myxyzdomain.com" , and
add a CNAME :
www.myxyzdomain.com.  IN  CNAME   east.xxx.org.
in THAT zones zonefile.

You cannot make a LHS with www.myxyzdomain.com. in the zonefile for xxx.org.
it's not possible in (recent) bind, and should not be possible in ms dns either.

Just a thought ..

--
Peter Håkanson