Requery on RR expiration automatically

John Morrison jmorrison at ittoolbox.com
Fri Jun 14 22:36:36 UTC 2002

> > > Maybe you can arrange to slave the zones in question, if they =
aren't
> > > too many? But that still doesn't solve the underlying issue.
> >
> > This would be up to a few hundred thousand.
>=20
> And you think it would be *better* to continually re-query at least =
one
> name in every one of those zones?!?!?

Only upon the expiration. The record in question happens to be the MX =
record which is usually set to expire quickly I know.
However much less spam than IXFR don't you think?

> I sure hope you're talking about 100's of thousands of *internal* =
zones,
> otherwise surely you must realize how anti-social it would be to=20
> spam 100's
> of thousands of other people's nameservers with unnecessary queries, =
just
> to humor a vendor's broken implementation of a caching stub resolver.
> There's no way I could condone anything like that.

HMMM. I can understand if this was all done unnecessarily. However they =
will be requerried the expiration day anyway. So its more like this hour =
or the next for some, others may be a day off. If the MX ttl is an hour =
there might be a little unnecessary spam. The upside to this is that =
users will stop yelling for subscriptions being put on hold or not =
receiving messages.

I know i may be overcompensating for a vendor flaw. Just wanted to some =
ideas. Looks like this is not a feasible one.

Thanks anyway.

John