quick bind upgrade question

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 12 17:32:36 UTC 2002

Vasiliy Boulytchev wrote:

> Ladies and Gents,
>     I'm Running Red Hat 7.2.  With Bind 9.2.0.  It was installed from source, so I was wondering for simplicity, can I just rpm the 9.2.1 over the top of the curent install?  This is a secondary DNS server, so it can go down for a bit, so what would be the appropriate steps of unistalling bind 9.2.0 and rpming the 9.2.1 so in the future I can just upgrade.........

Redhat always use to put named in /sbin, rather than
/usr/local/sbin as the source tar ball, so you'll probably need
to edit the start up scripts and other little touches.

If you did source build last time, another source build is
simplest. The issue is only file locations, including manual
pages, so the worst you are likely to do is confuse yourself,
and accidently run old versions of commands or named till you
spot and remove them if you use the RPM over the top of the tar
ball.

There is no easy uninstall from the source tar balls that I know
of, if you have the old source build directory you can figure
out installed files from the Makefiles, and remove them by hand
before installing the RPM.

Of course if it is an important DNS server a rebuild might be a
good plan, to get everything back in the RPM framework no if's
or but's, especially if you can automate the build procedure.