Special forwarding

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Tue Jun 4 17:17:29 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 12:34:42AM -0400, William Park wrote:
> ?ric Allard <bind_ml at telusquebec.net> wrote:
> >
> > In other words, I want my private dns answering with its own
> > zone files when it has the information about a zone and ask
> > the public dns when it doesn't have the information about this
> > same zone but not the opposite.
> >
> > Is that possible?
> > How can I do that?
>
> Yes, it's called "split DNS", and 'view' statement is what you want.  See
> bind documentation for detail.

No, neither views nor a split horizon configuration will do what the
original poster asked. He wanted one authoritative server to forward
queries that would normally result in NXDOMAIN to another authoritative
server. That is not possible, at least without major and ugly surgery
on the source code.

-Pete