Bind + Name Based virtual hosting for apache

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 3 22:38:16 UTC 2002

HYK_TremorZ at hotmail.com wrote:

> Ok lemme give you my setup first.  The domain i have authority over is
> lctc.org and the IP it points to is 129.63.24.92
>
> Along with the DNS server, we also have an apache web server on the
> machine.  Now we only have 1 IP address, so when we do subdomains for
> webpages, we have to use name based virtual hosting (i.e.
> ivan.lctc.org, jason,lctc.org, jenny.lctc.org, etc.).  Each of the
> subdomains exists on the same server.
>
> What would be the best way to go about adding the information to the
> db.lctc zone file?
>
> Currently, we're using cnames to do it:
>
> ivan            IN CNAME lctc.org.
> jmarthak        IN CNAME lctc.org.
> john            IN CNAME lctc.org.
> khen            IN CNAME lctc.org.
> kourtney        IN CNAME lctc.org.
>
> We haven't tested this out yet because we want to make sure we got it
> as right as possible before we do.  Any insite will be appreciated,
> thanks.

That's fine, as long as you're only dealing with subdomains of lctc.org.
If and when you want to start pointing registered domain names at your
web server, e.g. host an example.com website, or, for that matter, any
name that is the same as the name of a DNS zone, then you'll run into the
restrictions of the infamous "CNAME and other" rule, and you'll have to
use A records instead of CNAMEs...

- Kevin