BIND - sorting of reverse domain.

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 4 21:34:22 UTC 2002

"D. Stussy" wrote:

> If true, then it must actively sort the zone file in order for it to be written
> out in alphabetical order (which is occuring with this version).  It is
> obviously bothering to take the time to do this, so while we're at it, why not
> write out the reverse domain files in numerical order where possible?  [We're
> back to my original question!]

You seem to have forgotten the bit where people said the
secondary storage format is irrelevant.

Anyway reverse zones are no different to any other zones, and
can contain exactly the same set of characters in a record, so
attempting to apply some arbitary unnatural ordering to string
data would be very messy. Even more so if it is just so people
can read a file that isn't really there for their benefit.