named used up all cpu time with no obvious reason

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 26 08:41:56 UTC 2002

likun wrote:

> I doubt what can make named into such a situation. someone attack it
> with some bug ? I've got no idea. any hints/suggestion/insides ?

Some version had a "storm" bug, I assume this would show up as
being okay till a specific query is raised.

Ideas;

Brave query logging for a few seconds - see what queries it is
doing.

Read the log files.

Upgrade to latest BIND 8(?).

Try BIND 9.2.1, as it is threaded it will use both CPUs, even if
the total throughput may remain slightly lower it would
eliminate BIND 8 bugs, and has better logging in some areas.