VERY strange problem with DNS

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 4 08:49:05 UTC 2002

Alessandro de Manzano wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Sorry if my msg could be a very little offtopic, but I honestly don't
> know where to ask for help :(
>
> I'm using a couple of FreeBSD 4.6p1 boxes with BIND 8.3.3.
>
> These are the authoritative DNS servers of a bunch of our domains. We
> have also other three DNS servers listed as auth. for a total of five,
> including our ISP's one and ns(1,2).secondary.com.
>
> All was working fine till about one week ago, when many our customers
> and partners phone us they could'n reach our servers (mail, web, etc.).

$ dig @a.gtld-servers.com masamune.playstos.com +short
194.79.208.11

The servers for the ".com" domain have glue for this server.

The "quick fix" is probably to use an A record for the www,
instead of a CNAME.

Someone must have registered this as a DNS server for a domain,
or maybe a registrar fouled up updating your records. Have you
updated the registrar details of any domains recently? Check if
other domains have this as a name server.