dynamic update from Win2k

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Fri Jul 19 00:53:21 UTC 2002

At 07:19 PM 7/18/02, Ludmilla Markowska wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>we have running several BIND9 servers (Mandrake 8.2)
>and Win2k clients on our LAN.
>Now i want that the Win2k Clients update the DNS-server
>after booting and getting their IP-address from the dhcp-server.
>our named.conf is like the following:
>
>options {
>          directory "/var/named/";
>          pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
>          auth-nxdomain yes;
>          notify yes;
>};
>
>acl "dhcp-clients" {
>      10.0.0.0/8;
>};
>
>zone "xxx.lan" {
>          type master;
>          file "evtheol.zone";
>          check-names ignore;
>          allow-update { "dhcp-clients";10/8; };
>};
>
>zone "0.0.10.in-addr.arpa" {
>          type master;
>          file "xxx.reversed";
>          check-names ignore;
>          allow-update { "dhcp-clients";10/8; };
>};
>
>problem is nothing happens. somebody has an idea what i=B4m doing wrong?
>
>tia and best regards
>ludmilla

You should let the dhcp server do the updates and not the individual
clients so that the clients can't update other hosts entries. You should
look at the event log of the systems that are trying to perform the update
and see what it says.  You should also look at your own logs and see
if it's denying the updates in the security category.

Danny