Same zone, separate views, on different servers

Sasso, John IT JSasso at mvphealthcare.com
Mon Jul 15 14:57:46 UTC 2002

I figured this much, but I was not certain (which is why I thought I'd ask
the experts).  The whole jist of my question was that I figured it would be
more secure to have the internal (private) nameserver behind one tier of the
firewall (not directly accessible from the Internet), and the Internet
(public) nameserver on another tier (which is accessible from the 'net).
Then if some host on the private net did a query for a name that was in our
public zone, the private nameserver would forward the query onto the public
nameserver.

So I guess my idea isn't quite feasible, eh?  I'll have to stick w/
separating and securing the zones w/ views, even if the nameserver is
exposed to the 'net (albeit behind a firewall, and only accessible via
TCP/UDP 53).  Granted, I would harden the nameserver on other ends as well,
not just BIND.

--john