client 1.2.3.4#56789: update 'sampledomain.com/IN' denied

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 19:49:27 UTC 2002

Johan Kuuse wrote:

> I still have some doubts.
> If I change the MNAME field to "localhost" for zone "sampledomain.com",
> should the host "localhost.sampledomain.com" be used as 127.0.0.1?

Yes, all domains (that clients belong to) should have a
localhost (that is in an RFC somewhere), pointing to 127.0.0.1.

I just put "localhost 86400 IN A 127.0.0.1" in the zone
template, since having it in every zone won't hurt.

> And what happens with the slave server if the the MNAME points to
> "localhost"?

MNAME is only used in dynamic DNS, if you do things statically
it isn't used.

Slaves will use the masters specified in their named.conf files.