localhost in a domain zone

Sergey Nikolaev SNikolae at siac.com
Wed Jan 30 19:14:52 UTC 2002

"localhost" is already in /etc/hosts. What DNS would reply to is
"localhost.mydomain.com". But is it realy necessary?

Sergey

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Barry        |
|        |          Margolin     |
|        |          <barmar at genui|
|        |          ty.net>      |
|        |                       |
|        |          01/30/2002   |
|        |          01:58 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     comp-protocols-dns-bind at moderators.isc.org                   |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Sergey Nikolaev/SIAC)                                  |
  |       Subject:     Re: localhost in a domain zone                          |

In article <a399ge$44a at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Sergey Nikolaev <SNikolae at siac.com> wrote:
>Is there any sense in having the A record for localhost.mydomain.com pointing
>127.0.0.1 in the mydomain.com zone?

If your users want to be able to use the name "localhost" to refer to their
own machine, it's a useful thing to have.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA