simple subdomain delegation question

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Jan 30 19:01:12 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:04:27AM -0000, Atkinson, Daniel wrote:
> my nameservers in the UK have authority for a domain, and we're moving some
> sites in this domain to a hosting company in canada.
>
> if i delegate authority for subdomains to their nameservers using NS
> records, will this cause any noticeable performance issues since resolvers
> will have to query our UK servers first before being redirected to the
> canadian servers?

If you are delegating SUBdomains, then this should be no problem.  They
should only query your name server when your name server records expire,
once every $TTL seconds.  For large enough values of $TTL, this will
surely be bearable.

You could also make them secondary servers for your parent domain, and
you a secondary server for the SUBdomains, and decrease latency and load
a bit more.  ;-)

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B