Finding host domain name from IP

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Jan 25 22:56:36 UTC 2002

In article <a2s7ti$qdt at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Dave Johnson <dave-johnson at btclick.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've searched through newsgroup archives and found no answer to this one -
>forgive me if it's been done, but I HAVE found the question (or similar)
>posted a few times over the past few years.
>
>I want to get a domain name knowing just the IP address.
>
>I'm forced to use a PC (win2000) platform, and have got code using
>'gethostbyaddress()' workng fine.
>The problem is that I get results like:
>address in:          195.147.246.231
>name returned:    serv-farm.freenetname.co.uk
>Now I know that this hosts a number of (sub? - I terminologically challenged
>so far in this area) domains of the form 'name.com', 'name.co.uk' etc. and
>I'd like to see them ALL.

There's no way to do this.

Anyone who operates a DNS server could create an entry like this on it:

www.mydomain.com. IN A 195.147.246.231

There's no way for the operator of the reverse domain to know that he did
it, so there's no way for him to return that address.  In order for you to
find them all, you would have to search *every* domain on the Internet.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA