international domain registration issues/dns related

Arjen van Drie arjen-bind at 3va.net
Wed Jan 23 23:33:46 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 19:11, sid_shapiro at bio-rad.com wrote:

> If I dig co.nz, I get ns1.dns.net.nz as the nameserver for that domain. If I dig
> my primary domain from them I get nothing for me - just the root servers (dig
> bio-rad.com @ns1.dns.net.nz). Does this mean that they have no information at
> all on us, which would indicate that they don't know my nameservers at all? If
> that's the case, I can see why they would reject our registration - they can't
> find our nameservers.

I guess not, digging bio-rad.com @ their nameserver requires them to do
recursion, and I don't think they do that. But:

[arjen at bami arjen]$ dig @ns1.dns.net.nz bio-rad.co.nz soa

; <<>> DiG 9.1.3 <<>> @ns1.dns.net.nz bio-rad.co.nz soa
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;bio-rad.co.nz.			IN	SOA

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
co.nz.			86400	IN	SOA	ns1.dns.net.nz. hostmaster.domainz.net.nz.
2002012444 900 300 604800 86400

Ans that is a bad sign I guess... They should answer that one, 'cos they
should do the delegation to you...

> Is there some other trick to checking domain info from other nameservers and
> picking the right ones to check? I gather that some nameservers don't allow
> queries form the outside.

Just dig down from the top (com. or nz.) to the bottom.

Arjen.