Reverse Mapping Part of a Class B

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Jan 23 14:18:18 UTC 2002

	We provide reverse mapping for our Class B network and
also support a domain that occupies 8 octets of our network.

	We use bind as a master dns for that domain and have the
usual slave zone setup in our master dns for their forward records.  That
works fine.  The interesting part of the problem is that their
reverse map is 8 octets of our network so you can't just set up
the same Class B IN-ADDR.ARPA zone because that duplicates our
reverse zone.  Is there a safe way to define that range of octets
so that it maps but doesn't break the global reverse map for our
full Class B?

	I have successfully done this octet by octet which is
okay if there are one or two, but I don't want to build 8 reverse
zones if I don't have to.:-)

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group