bind running on private ip address

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 15 01:03:47 UTC 2002

Alaa Alamood wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a static ip address which used by the router and, there is NAT
> system on there router
>
> I register my IP to have a domain name in one of the companies that
> registrating a domains names
>
> my domain name running on internal "private ip address" and the router
> configured to give this ip address access for domain
>
> my bind server running on Redhat linux 7.2 with bind version 9.1.3,

BIND 9.1.3 is rather old. You should upgrade to 9.2.0.

> and
> when I run the following command
>
> nslookup   www.yahoo.com
>
> I get the answer with no problem, internal it working just fine,
>
> my problem is
>
> when from out side my network, I run the following command
>
> nslookup MY_PUBLIC_IP_ADDRESS
>
> I get not the same name of my domain, I get a name which registed in my
> ISP domain server,

That's undoubtedly because your ISP hasn't delegated control of that
reverse DNS record to you. Talk to them about it.

> also when I make nslookup as the following
>
> nslookup -   MY_PUBLIC_IP_ADDRESS
>
> *** Can't find server name for address MY_PUBLIC_IP_ADDRESS: No response
> from server
> *** Default servers are not available

I think that's more likely to be a routing problem or a NAT problem or
something like that. nslookup _should_ get the same reverse DNS from the
inside as you get from the outside.

But, why use nslookup at all? nslookup sucks. Real DNS tools like
"dig" don't need to reverse-resolve the nameserver they are using so they
don't have a problem with this.

- Kevin