ndc status returns server is NOT loading its configuration on Bind 8.2.2-P5

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Mon Jan 14 11:29:39 UTC 2002

    >> Friends, I have Bind 8.2.2.-P5 running on Solaris 7 as master
    >> DNS for the internal zones and it runs and queries perfectly ok
    >> but today is just wanted to check as what does ndc status show
    >> and I was surprised to see that it say " server is NOT loading
    >> its configuration " below is the whole output .

    Barry> That's normal.  It means it is not *now* loading its
    Barry> configuration.  It did that when it started up.

FWIW, the status message from ndc/named was changed to something more
meaningful in 8.2.3:

1112    [support]       "ndc status" no longer mentions loading of config.

NOBODY should be running 8.2.2P5. Aside from being an old version that
has long been superseded, it has security holes. Scripts for
exploiting those holes are in circulation. See:
	http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/bind-security.html