1 Basic Fundamental question on Bind 8.2.5

Nate Campi nate at wired.com
Sat Jan 12 06:31:34 UTC 2002

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 06:12:03AM +0000, Rakesh Shah wrote:

> Thank you for your input but my question still remains partly unanswered is
> the Secondary server for one zone able to pull the zone files for the other
> secondary server for another zone, or it can only pull from the master
> server.?

Slave for one zone pulling "another zone"? I don't really understand the
question, but I can sum up zone transfer behavior with BIND.

Assuming there's no restrictions placed on zone transfers by the
administrator of the slave server - yes, a slave can transfer a zone
from another slave. If BIND is authoritative for a zone, that's enough
to serve a zone transfer request, regardless of the role that instance
of BIND plays in the master/slave relationship.

Actually, you don't have to be any sort of "slave" to transfer a zone.
You can transfer a zone using nslookup or dig from any machine that runs
those tools. Again, there may be restrictions placed on zone transfers by
the administrator of the server blocking zone tranfers.
--
Nate Campi | Terra Lycos DNS | WiReD UNIX Operations

The Imperial Vendor or Contractor probably told them that droid armies
don't need redundant command centers, nor any kind of high availability ...
you're supposed to buy several, and cluster them.
Redundant Array of Inexpensive Droids?