refused query on non-query socket?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Sat Jan 12 00:18:27 UTC 2002

In article <a1nifu$7hs at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Alan Sparks  <asparks at quris.com> wrote:

>I just upgraded to BIND-8.3.0.  Started seeing messages I've never seen
>before.  A sample is included below.
>
>I'm a little confused about what I've read about this.  Does this mean
>someone else is sending a weird query back at me?  What are the
>implications?

It means that the server is receiving a packet on the socket that it uses
to receive replies to recursive queries, and these packets look like
queries rather than replies.

>And, is this new with 8.3?  Never saw then with 8.2.5... although maybe
>someone picked this same instance to pick on me... :-)

This message has been around as long as 8.x has, as that's when BIND
started using a different port for sending recursive queries.  My guess is
someone is port-scanning you, and the packets they're sending happen to
have the bit set that distinguishes a query from a reply.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA