A record in reverse lookup zone?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 16:39:12 UTC 2002

Kent Tong wrote:

> Suppose I have a reverse lookup zone for 3.175.202.in-addr.arpa.:

> In BIND, is it required or allowed to add the following A
> records:
>
> c002.foo.com.   A       202.175.3.2

Forbidden as this data is "out of zone".

> I am asking this because the DNS server
> in Win2K forces the admin to input the IP of each server
> specified by NS and creates the A record for it automatically.

Which makes it technically off topic ;)

> This makes me think twice whether I am understanding DNS
> correctly.

I wouldn't assume anything from a Microsoft GUI, I mean the DNS
GUI use to crash if you put a "." on the end of a Domain name -
does this mean the "." isn't there?

I don't remember Win2k forcing you do anything this daft, it
isn't always clear when it is using relative or fully qualified
domain names, but I was quite impressed with the various Wizards
in W2K.

If you must use W2K DNS server - patch patch patch - and read up
on proper security settings for both W2K and M$ DNS.