Simple question about ZONE TRANSFER

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 8 22:02:39 UTC 2002

In article <a1fmn6$mbe at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Marco Simone Zuppone <mszmsz at inwind.it> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to the world of BIND. (3 days)
>I'm running BIND 9.1 on Linux 7.1 and it works quite good.
>I've only a question about zone transfer:
>I'm running the main dns on Linux, the secondary is out of my network (it is
>managed by and ISP provider).
>I set up my primary server to not allow zone transfer at all because I want
>that the changes made in primary will reflect on secondary, but any
>modification to secondary server must not be transferred to primary.
>Is this setting good??
>How it is possible to force a zone transfer??

This doesn't make sense.  You never make changes on a slave server, only on
the master.  The slave server always transfers from the master, and the
master will never transfer from anywhere else.

You need to put "allow-transfer { <address of slave>; };" in the
configuration of your master server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA