can't get "http://personals.fairfax.va.us" to resolve

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Jan 8 19:34:25 UTC 2002

In article <a1fddr$kpu at pub3.rc.vix.com>, SBFEIBISH <sbfeibish at aol.com> wrote:
>dig personals.fairfax.va.us at dit.co.fairfax.va.us
>dig personals.fairfax.va.us at auth40.ns.uu.net (no zone records here)

This is a problem with the fairfax.va.us domain.  It's delegated to
auth40.ns.uu.net, but for some reason their server is lame.  It could be
that Fairfax never told UUNET to add the zone to their slave server
configuration, or there could be a configuration problem that's preventing
UUNET from transfering the zone (maybe they forgot to put UUNET's server in
their allow-transfer list).

There's another problem with the domain.  On the primary server
dit.co.fairfax.va.us, they have the record:

fairfax.va.us.		1D IN NS	cache03.ns.uu.net.

Since cache03 is presumably a caching-only server, it should never be
listed in NS records.

So, the problem you're having is with the entire fairfax.va.us domain, not
specific to your record.  You need to contact
hostmaster at dit.co.fairfax.va.us and get them to fix the domain.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA