Can't query 9.1 [RH7.1] from NT4 on LAN

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 3 11:34:34 UTC 2002

John LaRough wrote:

> Why can't I ping "box.domain.com"?'  I
> have the DNS server listed (172.16.0.10) in the "DNS Service Search Order"
> part of NT and put it before my ISPs.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes - if you are trying to test your DNS and not your ISPs - try
listing only the server you are testing here.

"DNS Service Search Order" is a misnomer, even if Cricket
welcomes the improved labelling, I still think it is confusing
more people. "List of properly set up name servers, all with the
same view of the DNS so it doesn't matter which one I ask" would
be more descriptive, but never get past the GUI designers at
Microsoft.

It all changes in W2K, for the worse I fear, they seem to be
making the behaviour more lke the GUI text, and damn the extra
DNS traffic generated, or the near impossibility of figuring out
how a name is resolved.