listen to multiple ip's on same nic?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 10 10:00:47 UTC 2002

"McNutt, Justin M." wrote:

> If you HUP named, it should automatically bind to the new IP address.  =
> (I've had to do this on several servers.)  You shouldn't have to =
> completely down the daemon.

Binding to port 53 is a privileged operation, and (unlike linux)
this privilege is not inherited by named on BSD AFAIK. So if
your named is not running as root, and can BIND to port 53, your
OS is badly broken.

I suspect you are either running Linux, or not running as root,
either way you shouldn't HUP BIND 9 as the signal interface is
deprecated, rndc is your friend.