Bind9 behind static translation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 9 21:11:38 UTC 2002

Christophe GALLIENNE wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've setting up a Bind 921 behind a firewall.
> I've setting afull static translation between a public adress (entierly
> dedicated for the bind server) to the private adress of the bind
> (192.168.1.2).
>
> All is right on the LAN but from WAN the reverse does'nt work.

Are you hosting forward zones as well as reverse zone? It's not clear from
your description whether you have *zero* DNS working from the public side,
or just *partial* success on the public side. The troubleshooting path could
be quite different, depending on the situation.

> I've made the 2 reverse file but i think i must set up the two listenning
> adress but i don't know where.

Hopefully the 2 reverse files you've made aren't for private ranges like
*.*.168.192.in-addr.arpa. Those are deliberately *not* resolvable on the
Internet.

If on the other hand you're trying to serve reverse DNS for public address
ranges, make sure your network provider has delegated the relevant reverse
zone(s) to your nameservers.

- Kevin