Multiple PTR or not?

jeff donovan jdonovan at dns.beth.k12.pa.us
Thu Aug 8 12:19:28 UTC 2002

Thanks for the reply,

>	You don't need multiple PTR records.  I recommend that you
>	use the name the machine knows itself as.

all of my machines currently have matching forward and reverse names
in dns. If I add a new forward zone " bethsd.org " then I will have a
new zone with the same ip's as my current zones without reverse PTR
records. All of my PTR records will reverse back to the original
beth.k12.pa.us.  That just doesn't seem right to me. But I guess that
is the way to go right?

>	If you add PTR records for each virtual name you will
>	eventually exceed the TCP message size.  It does happen and
>	just wastes everyones resources.

The only reason i am doing this is because a new administrator did
not want to type in beth.k12.pa.us. He thought it was too long and
does not care how " internet " correct it is. And since this is not a
sub domain which would be sub.beth.k12.pa.us, I kindof clueless as to
how to make both domains work over the same address space. I cannot
replace the pa.us domain. i just need to add a .org as an optional
way to find us.

--j