What does "update failed foo.com 2" mean ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 7 20:09:33 UTC 2002

likun at asiainfo.com wrote:

> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<aims4f$bh9v$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
> > The typical scenario is:
> >
> > 1) glue A record gets into the cache
> > 2) the same A record shows up in the answer section of a response because a name was queried which was
> > an alias (CNAME) for that A record
> >
> > In that scenario, the cached A record would be "refreshed" because the data in #2 is considered of equal
> > or higher credibility.
> >
> > Another scenario would be where the same nameserver is delegated for 2 or more domains. As soon as the
> > nameserver sees the glue for the second domain, it'll refresh the cached A record.
> >
> In all these cases always the A RRset get refreshed more frequently . but
> in my case the A RRset getting expired while NS records are still there.

Maybe someone made an explicit NS query and the response didn't include the associated A records (it is not
required to include the A records, unless the nameservers happen to be in the domain itself).

> Maybe I'm some overcurious, I'm sorry

Don't be. Curiosity leads to knowledge (except in the case of the proverbial cat, apparently, which is
reputed to die from it :-).

                                                                                                            -
Kevin