firewall blocking 53

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Wed Aug 7 18:20:16 UTC 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 10:52:01AM -0700, Armin Safarians wrote:

> That would certainly let me set my port I query from, however reading
> the bind book it says that if query-source is not used, it would then
> use a random unprivileged port. My issue is that it uses the same one
> for all of its queries... The network folk expect random port sending
> those queries... ?????

The network folk are expecting the wrong thing. Unless given a query
source port directive, named chooses a random high port on startup and
sticks with it. There is at least one DNS server implementation that
chooses a different high port for each query, but that has its own
implications for your firewalls.

-P.