nslint error reporting interpretation

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 28 22:15:01 UTC 2002

DNSamin wrote:

> I need help interpreting the following nslint error messages.
> They're rather obscure so I am not sure what the fixes should
> be unless and until I understand the error messages. I have to
> think others would fine such information helpful as well. Thank
> you in advance! As follows:
>
> nslint: name referenced without other records: foobar.soda.state.dc.us.
>
> nslint: missing "ptr": foobar.soda.state.dc.us. -> 163.112.19.144
>
> nslint: missing "a": foobar.soda.state.dc.us. -> 163.112.19.144
>
> nslint: "cname" foobar.soda.state.dc.us. has other records
>
> nslint: /var/named/dc.us/soda:91 "ns2.tera-byte.com." outside zone
> soda.state.dc.us.
>
> nslint: multiple "a" records for foobar.soda.state.dc.us.
>
> nslint: name referenced without other records:
> 8.esc.36.112.107.in-addr.arpa.

Well, I'm not very familiar with nslint, but I'd guess

"name referenced without other records" means you are referring to a name
(on the right-hand side of a resource record), but that name doesn't
appear anywhere in the DNS database. Thus it's a "dangling" reference.

"missing PTR" means that you have an A record pointing to an address but
no corresponding PTR record mapping the address back to a name

"missing A" means the converse, i.e. you have a PTR record mapping an
address to a name, but the name does not resolve to an addresss

"cname ... has other records" is somewhat self-explanatory, isn't it? When
a name owns a CNAME record, it cannot own any other records.

"... outside zone ...". Again, rather self-explanatory. A name from one
branch of the namespace tree doesn't belong in the zone file for a
different branch. This only applies to "owner" (left-hand side) names,
however: you can point records, e.g. PTR, CNAME, MX, NS records to other
parts of the namespace all you want.

"multiple A records". I have no idea why nslint would complain about this.
It's perfectly legal for a name to own multiple A records.

Perhaps it would be helpful if you posted the zone files that nslint is
complaining about.

- Kevin