OT: DNS,PDC,password change doesnt work

Michael E. Hanson MEHanson at GryphonsGate.com
Mon Aug 19 12:17:40 UTC 2002

On the other hand, since he's wondering about a DNS related solution,
just maybe he might find an answer here...

Unfortunately, with NT4 there is no DNS solution.  Your clients need to
find the PDC in order to change their password, that requires either
LMHOSTS files or (better yet) WINS.  The BDC will allow them to login,
but all changes must be made through the PDC.

To find the PDC with NT4, you need a NetBIOS Name/Service resolution
method, and that's what WINS provides you.

If you need more info, contact me off-list.

Michael E. Hanson
President, Gryphon Consulting Services
(http://www.GryphonsGate.com)
P.O. Box 1151