BIND Versions for SRV Records and Dynamic Update

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Aug 13 06:44:20 UTC 2002

Nitin Khurana <nkhurana at novell.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I am looking for the minimum BIND versions required for SRV Record =
> Support and the minimum BIND versions for the support of dynamic updates =
> (RFC 2136). Could you please give me that small information?
>      And if you could tell  me what are the default BIND versions that =
> come with Solaris 7 and 8 and with Red Hat Linux 7.1/7.2 ? and with =
> Caldera Linux 3.1

> Thanks in advance.

> Nitin Khurana.

The minimum version is bind 8.3.3  or bind 9.2.1

Anything before that has quirks that should be avoided.

What a specific vendor delivers ( if not current version) is a non-issue
since a admin worth it's salt will grab current version anyway.

Some vendors does a good job in tracking current version of bind, and
at the same time track other software that might jeopardize your systems
ability to function.  FreeBSD is one.

--
Peter Håkanson